Tuesday, April 12, 2005

my wife's "bad" birthday

The Wife "celebrated" her birthday today (I won't reveal her age - I'll let her do that if she wants to). I put the word "celebrated"in quotation marks because it wasn't much of a celebration - she may disagree with me, but I don't think it was and for several reasons.

We've had very limited funds for the past month since we've had medical bills (yes, having a baby is expensive). I wasn't able to get her a true birthday gift. My girls "bought" her a Starbucks gift card, but that was it. Now The Wife did tell me that what she wanted for her birthday was the ability to pick out exactly what she wants, and she hasn't found it yet. But I still feel bad for not getting her something on her birthday.

I forgot to pick up a birthday cake for her. I usually buy a cake from Ben & Jerry's (made with New York Super Fudge and Peanut Butter Cup), but I didn't even think about it this year. What is wrong with me? I love Ben & Jerry's!

I slept during her birthday dinner. Now let me explain: I work nights so I usually sleep during the day; our nanny is at her home this week because one of her kids has scarlet fever; I had to watch our daughters during the day when The Wife was at work, so consequently I could only sleep when she'd get home; I had to sleep when she got home because I'm at work now. The Wife's mom and stepdad came over to take her and the girls to a new seafood restaurant just a few miles from us. I wish I had been there, but I could not have made it through dinner and come to work - I would have been awake, like, 36 hours.

Next year this will not happen! Next year she will have a proper celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment