Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Send your kiddies (and the Bush twins) to Iraq!

Whenever I read the blogs from my brethren on the Left (which is often, because I try to stay balanced), I will inevitably see some comment from someone about how the president should sign up the twins for the military. The thinking goes like this: if Bush is willing to send troops to Iraq that he doesn't personally know, he and every other chicken-hawk Republican and DINO (all true Democrats oppose the war, just like Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi) should sign up their children to go. I recently saw it on an open thread by Left Coaster.

I don't know where to start with this. It's such a ridiculous statement that adds nothing to any argument against the war in Iraq. I pointed this out in the comments section of the above-mentioned open thread, and of course I got blasted from someone who said, "Don't take everything so literally. Of course we know it is a volunteer military, at least as of today." What does it mean about taking it literally? Is there another way to take it that I missed? And if "we know" it's a volunteer military, why do so many people say stuff like that, including the "documentary filmmaker" Michael Moore? You can't just sign up your child to go in the military - it's a volunteer military (yes, I know I should add the words "for now"), so the individual must decide to sign up.

Christopher Hitchens writes a nice article about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment