Monday, June 6, 2005

Stealing "Harry"

You know a book is going to be huge when people try to sell stolen copies. I'm not talking about someone selling hot stereos or cars or video copies of just-released movies - I'm talking about stolen books. More specifically, I mean the highly anticipated (and that's putting it mildly) book by J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

The sixth installment of the Harry Potter series is due to hit bookstores on July 16. No doubt many stores will be selling copies at 12:01 AM, for those who haven't already pre-ordered. Some people may be asking, why is someone who purports to be an evangelical Christian posting about the Harry Potter books without condemning them? Doesn't he know they are evil? Well, I must confess that I own four of the five already-available books (I don't have Goblet of Fire), so obviously I don't think that they are inherently evil, but I would never tell anyone to read them unquestioningly. I believe that any book should be examined with a discerning eye - there's always a need to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Lisa Jackson has written a good article about the books. This link will give you access to numerous articles written by fine folks at Christianity Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment