Thursday, April 6, 2006

Katie Couric, from "Today" to '"Evening News"


Do you care about this?

I have no feelings one way or another. I liked Katie on the "Today" show, and was touched by the news surrounding the death of her husband and how she was handling it. She certainly appears to have some inner strength, but I thought that often times she was more glib than Matt Lauer (no matter what Tom Cruise says). To say that her politics run toward the liberal side is to put it mildly.

Before deciding, she consulted her two daughters.
Ellie, 14, at once voted for the jump to CBS, pointing out that mealtime was certainly no problem because, thanks to her mother's unusual schedule, they had been eating "early-bird dinners" for their entire lives, while almost everyone else they knew did not sit down to eat until 7 or 7:30.

When Ms. Couric turned to Carrie, 10, she got an equally quick response. Carrie said she would choose CBS as well, because that would make her mother "the first woman in that job by herself."

2 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the evening news since I lived at home and only then did I watch it because my dad had it on. The big three evening news-casters seem to be less relevant with the advent of 24 hour cable news and internet news available all the time, why should we wait until the end of the day to get the news? I'd much rather watch a Seinfeld rerun.

    I won't even get into Katie's political bias....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian: Katie's popularity has come from the personality she exhibits on camera (whether this is her "true" personality, one can't be sure but she seems genuine enough). I don't know how well this will shine through when she reads off the news every night at 6:30. I don't think she'll be a robot, but she will have a much harder time conveying her personality through the TV screen.

    Yes, I think the cult of the "anchor person" is departing with the rise in news websites and cable shows. Information is increasingly accessible, and so there's no reason to turn in to some major network at 6:30/5:30 just to hear about what's happening in the world. You can log on or turn to MSNBC/Fox/CNN for the latest news.

    ReplyDelete