Monday, April 3, 2006

the Meme of Jill Carroll

If you want to be part of the in the know crowd when it comes to knowing what bloggers are talking about, then you should head on over right now (I'll wait...) to Memeorandum. This site tells you what the most popular topic of the moment is. It seems to be updated regularly, so the accuracy is fairly spot-on.

At 4:20 AM on April 3, the hot topic is the release of Jill Carroll and her statements (which she claims were made under duress) against America. Some right-wingerbloggers supposedly have believed that Carroll was speaking her mind when she made anti-American statements on videotape, and have savaged here about this (no evidence can be found, however). Carroll gives a different story.
During my last night of captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me I would be released if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and I wanted to go home alive. So I agreed.

Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not. The people who kidnapped me and murdered Alan Enwiya are criminals, at best. They robbed Alan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends - all those around the world - who have prayed so fervently for my release - through a horrific experience. I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this. (Seattle PI)

This raises some interesting questions: If you were in the same position as Carroll, would you have done the same thing? Would you have said anything that was written to satisfy your captors, knowing that going along with them might keep you alive? If you strongly objected to something that was written (on religious grounds or another reason), would you have refused, even if to do so meant a certain (and probably unpleasant) death?

Update: I can hear the crickets chirping. No one wants to take on my questions. Come on, nephews, surely you have something to say about this. Dustin, I'm waiting for you to say something controversial on my blog now....

No comments:

Post a Comment