Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Martin Luther thought WHAT??

As you can probably tell, I talk a lot about pop culture 'round here. Sure, it's not the only thing I talk about and I don't obsess about it in my non-blog life, but I do try to keep up. I have gotten better, though - I used to slavishly read Entertainment Weekly, but I dropped my subscription a year ago and I haven't really missed it like I thought I would.

However, I do stop by the EW website from time to time. I was greatly interested in their review of the movie that was #1 this past weekend. The review is here and it contains this interesting line: "Yes, a soupçon of research reveals that the Priory of Sion is a hoax invented in 1956, and surely it can't be proved that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were ever intimate (though Martin Luther believed so)."

Yes, my jaw dropped when I read that line. Huh?!? Luther believed Jesus and Mary Magdalene were "intimate?" I had never heard of that! How could I have missed hearing that from my profs in my college Bible courses?

Well, I had never heard of that in my church history courses because Luther didn't believe that. I'll let Mollie explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment