Wednesday, July 26, 2006

50 Films to See Before You Die

The folks at England's Sunday Mail gathered a panel of experts (including Chariots of Fire producer David Puttnam) to list the 50 Films to See Before You Die. The top five are Apocalypse Now, The Apartment, City of God, Chinatown, and Sexy Beast.

Best-of lists are almost always controversial, and this one is no exception. Where is Star Wars? What about Gone With The Wind? Where is The Godfather, or The Wizard of Oz, or The Lord of the Rings?

Of the films listed, I've seen the following: Apocalpse Now, Chinatown, 2001: A Space Odyssey, North By Northwest, Alien, Lost in Translation, The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Erin Brockovich, The Breakfast Club, All About Eve, The Terminator, Manhunter, Raising Arizona, and Secrets & Lies. Thirty-five films to go...

4 comments:

  1. I have seen: Alien, Lost in Translation, The Shawshank Redemption, Erin Brockovich, The Breakfast Club, Terminator 2, The Royal Tenen-baums, The Ladykillers, Fight Club, Mulholland Drive, and Raising Arizona...Not too shaby, of course most of these I've never heard of before...it was put together by British folk right, that could be why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new layout btw! And hey weren't you guys supposed to come down here this month? What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost in Translation? I've seen it...wished I hadn't. It wasn't all that good, I thought. Go figure.

    They need to add some Disney flicks to the list like "Lilo and Stitch" or "The Emperor's New Groove"... no accounting for taste, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen ten of them. "Touch of Evil" has, I grant you, a great opening crane shot, but I could live without the rest of it. Odd that this is the Orson Wells selection, and not "Citizen kane." "North by Northwest" is amazing, I agree.

    The list does seem weighted toward present day films. Not a lot of romance movies, either -

    ReplyDelete