Monday, July 24, 2006

of mice and murder

There's a city in America that has had 33 homicides in 2006. With the year barely half done, this isn't encouraging news - they could be up to 60 homicides by New Year's Eve. The bizarre thing about this? This is happening in the town that most people associate with what is widely advertised as The Happiest Place on Earth - DisneyWorld.

Why are people killing each other so close to the land of Mickey, Goofy, and Donald?
"People can attribute crime to failing schools, failing families. There's a bunch of sociological things you can put your finger on," said police Sgt. Rich Ring, head of Orlando's homicide investigation unit. "All we can do as police is say the biggest things are drugs and robbery, and we're going to take action to attack those issues." (BrietBart)

This goes to show that even near The Happiest Place on Earth, there are plenty of people who are very unhappy - and apparently willing to kill.

6 comments:

  1. Gangs are becoming a problem in many areas of the U.S. and Orlando is no exception.
    As numbers of minorities increase and unemployment remains a issue, the young persons will look toward ways to make fast, easy money.

    Big City = Big City Problems

    Welcome to healthy growth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, as minorities increase they tend to become majorities, at which point they are no longer minorities, which means at some point I will have to join a gang and cause problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon: You are certainly right. Orlando is not immune to the problems of city life. I just find it ironic that these murders occur so close to a place that (vacuously) calls itself "The Happiest Place on Earth." Of course, you have to pay a lot to enter that place, and the "happiness" is completely manufactured. Most of Orlando's poor can not afford to enter there, so it naturally won't have any real effect on them.

    Pastor Brad: You people down in the bayou wrestle with gators and shoot at stuff a lot, don't you? I'd be VERY afraid if you ever started a gang... ;)

    Okay, I have to ask, Pastor Brad. What are you doing in the picture where you appear to be wearing some type of Native American headpiece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,

    I am acting like an imbecile. I put on some Dollar Store toy that my son got and acted like an idiot. I know that it probably looks like a legitimate rain dance, but I was just making it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in a small town in the middle of Indiana. I've lived here all of my life, and although I love to make fun of it, I don't really know of any place I'd rather be. There are no gangs (a big drug problem, but no gangs), and if you go anywhere, you'll always find a friend. Wal-Mart is the best hang-out place. You'll never find that in a big city. I went to New York this summer for a mission trip, and I don't think I could ever live there. I think it's a cultural thing. I don't know. Big cities kind intimidate me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhino: Where do you live? If you live in the middle of Indiana, you'd have to live very close to Indianapolis. It's a big city - do you find it to be intimidating? What intimidates you? The traffic? The amount of people?

    I have to say that the first few times I visited Chicago, I found it to be very intimidating. The traffic, all the people, the roads that can so easily lead you astray... Only after several visits (and living there, of course) did I feel comfortable navigating around. Now, it's no big deal. I feel like I can even take on NYC!

    ReplyDelete