Thursday, September 14, 2006

her place was in the dome

Ann Richards, a former governor of Texas, has passed away after battling cancer. She was 73 years old.
She died at home surrounded by her family, the spokeswoman said. Richards was found to have esophageal cancer in March and underwent chemotherapy treatments.

The silver-haired, silver-tongued Richards said she entered politics to help others — especially women and minorities who were often ignored by Texas’ male-dominated establishment.

“I did not want my tombstone to read, ’She kept a really clean house.’ I think I’d like them to remember me by saying, ’She opened government to everyone,”’ Richards said shortly before leaving office in January 1995. (MSNBC)

I remember watching the Democratic Convention when she gave the address. She famously said that George H.W. Bush was "born with a silver foot in his mouth." She spent four years in the governor's mansion in Texas, before losing her residence to George W. Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment