Sunday, February 11, 2007

49th Annual Grammys

Was this the Grammys or the Country Music Awards? The Dixie Chicks were the big winners tonight, taking home the trophies for several categories (Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Country Album). Suprisingly, the Chicks said nothing political - at least, nothing that I heard.

Carrie Underwood became the first American Idol alum to win Best New Artist; I thought James Blunt had that award wrapped up, but the voters thought otherwise.

Here's the complete list of winners.

I was pleased to see Gnarls Barkley's St. Elsewhere win the award for Urban/Alternative Music (for the ubiquitous Crazy). I bought their CD solely on the basis that it topped Entertainment Weekly's 2006 list of music, and I wasn't disappointed!

I strongly dislike bluegrass music, but it was nice to see fellow believer Ricky Skaggs win for Instrumentals.

Former president Jimmy Carter continues the line of political leaders gaining Grammys - he won Spoken Word Album for Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis. Past winners in this category include Senator Barack Obama, former president Bill Clinton, and Senator Hillary Clinton. I guess this means that if you have been or want to be a president, and you record a spoken word album, the Grammy is yours!

1 comment:

  1. I confess I was flipping channels out of complete boredom, but here's how it appeared to me:

    - tribute to somebody
    - Rap song
    - tribute to somebody else
    - Rap song
    - the oh-so-painful young country singers tribute to Don Henley
    - Rap song

    I kept wondering where all the new music was...(probably happened while I was enjoying Hawaii on the Travel channel.) :-)

    ReplyDelete