Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunday on the wagon

I always like to peruse the newspaper websites of the cities where I used to live. I feel like I'm still connected if I keep myself informed of their local stories. A silly thing, I know, but it's nice to know what's happening.

I haven't lived in Chicago in 10 years. To be fair, I actually lived in Oak Park, one of the numerous suburbs around the city. We lived a mile from the Chicago city line. Of course, whenever someone asked if I actually lived in Chicago itself, I usually respond, "Oh, no - I lived just east of the city."

I found this interesting article in the Chicago Tribune - 10 Things You Might Not Know About Famous Evangelists. The article mentions current evengalists who are in hot water over their finances, Creflo Dollar and Joyce Meyer. One of the 10 things is a story about Billy Sunday:
Billy Sunday was a ballplayer for the Chicago White Stockings who became a well-known preacher. One of his most famous sermons was called "Get on the Water Wagon." A water wagon was a vehicle used to dampen dirt roads to keep the dust down. When a person gave up alcohol, it was said that he had gotten "on the water wagon" -- a slang term that was later shortened to "on the wagon."
Added: Speaking of Chicago, it's nice to see that the Bears beat the Broncos.

1 comment:

  1. I read the Seattle times about once a week, I love that connection as well.

    ReplyDelete