Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ten Tidbits, v. 11

01. The biggest subject that 2007's book of the year, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, had to address (other than how You-Kn0w-Who would meet his end) was the character and motivations of Severus Snape. Although we all know the answer to that question now, it's worthwhile to read Orson Scott Card's considerations of Snape's statements and behaviors in Years One through Six.

02. I was saddened to learn of the death of 25-year-old actor Brad Renfro. His most notable appearance was in the film adaptation of John Grisham's novel The Client, as a witness to a mob lawyer's suicide; he acted in the film with two Oscar winners, Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones. I consider The Client to be my favorite Grisham book.

03. I'm back in the world of the college student, which means that I have to purchase textbooks for classes. I've always questioned the great expense of textbooks, and I'm not alone. FYI, my anatomy textbook was $160.

04. Tom Cruise: Scientology Proselytizer. "We're the authorities on getting people off drugs. We're the authorities on the mind. We're the authorities on improving conditions." He's also become an authority on how to make a movie no one goes to see.

05. Yet another Hollywood marriage has ended, this one after two weeks. I was in Target yesterday and saw some magazine showcasing pictures of the supposed marital bliss, which apparently soured minutes after the "I do's."

06. The musical Rent will close on Broadway this spring. I've never seen it, but I have seen my fair share of musicals on tour, including The Producers (in Chicago), Miss Saigon (Cincinnati), and Phantom of the Opera (Columbus, OH).

07. Reasons to love Apple. Truly tempting.

08. Jon Ferguson lets you know when you're not leading.

09. Justin Taylor interviewed Scott Klusendorf about current pro-life issues.

10. If you really must know where Brownie attends church services, it's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment