Tuesday, December 20, 2005

a shocking discovery

On a whim, I decided to "Google" some of my former college roommates - five roommates over four years - to see if there was any current information I could find on them. I was stunned to find that one of them was charged, just a little over two years ago, with soliciting online a person whom he believed to be a 14-year-old girl but was actually a police officer. He is now a registered sexually oriented offender.

I have no idea what to make of this or what to do with this information, except to pray for him. Perhaps that's all I can do at this point. There is certainly no way that I can contact him and say something like, "Hey, just wanted you to know that I found some intriguing info about you on the Internet..." He graduated the same year as my wife, but something tells me that he didn't go to his 10-year college reunion last year - we didn't go either, but only because my wife was weeks away from giving birth to our 2nd child.

I lived with him for two quarters, or approximately 21 weeks, of my sophomore year; he lived next door to me the next year. During that time, and the subsequent times that I saw him around campus, I saw nothing that would lead me to think that he'd be interested in underage girls. This just serves to prove that you can't truly know everything about the people that you meet (and with whom you sometimes live and share breathing space).

No comments:

Post a Comment