Wednesday, June 14, 2006

"I want to live again.... I want to live again..."

I will be out for the better part of this evening, so I won't be able to watch the latest list from the American Film Institute - this year, it's "100 Years, 100 Cheers." AFI examines the movies that have been deemed the most inspiring - 100 films culled from 300. I'm betting that Rocky, Shawshank Redemption, and It's a Wonderful Life will be near the top.

Here are the past "100 Years..." lists, and the #1 film for each (starting at most recent):


  • ... Quotes - "Frankly, my dear...", from Gone With the Wind
  • ... Songs - "Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz
  • ... Heroes & Villains - Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird & Dr. Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs
  • ... Passions - Casablanca
  • .... Thrills - Psycho
  • ... Laughs - Some Like it Hot
  • ... Stars - Katharine Hepburn & Humphrey Bogart
  • ... Years - Citizen Kane

I'm sure that Ann Althouse and the crew from ALOTT5MA will be live-blogging the show.

Update: Well, Ann apparently had other shows to watch, but Adam at ALOTT5MA did indeed see it.

The top five:

  1. It's a Wonderful Life
  2. To Kill a Mockingbird
  3. Schindler's List
  4. Rocky
  5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Although I'm not a Hoosier myself (I'm a Buckeye), I was pleased to see Hoosiers make it in at #13. I was surprised that Shawshank only made it as high as #23 - I thought it would have cracked the top ten.

2 comments:

  1. You're damn right we're living blogging this at ALOTT5MA. Come on over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam: Thanks for stopping by. I'll have to come over to your site later tonight when the show's over - I always like reading your comments!

    ReplyDelete