Wednesday, December 21, 2005

100 Spiritually Significant Films

The Arts & Faith website has a listing of the top 100 spiritually significant films. Go here for the list.

It should be noted that "The Passion of the Christ," Mel Gibson's film that made waves in the Christian community in early 2004 and was utilized in many church lesson plans, comes in at #35. I still haven't seen it.

Martin Scorsese's controversial "The Last Temptation of Christ" is #70.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," a film that I expected to hate but ending up loving, is #98.

3 comments:

  1. Hum...how could you have not seen the Passion of the Christ? A must see movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. C.: When "Passion" came out in theaters, my excuse to not go was having children to take care of (you know what that's like). Now that it's available at the rental store, I guess I don't have an excuse other than that I just don't have a desire to see the movie. I've seen so many trailers and previews of the film that it feels like I've seen it already, and it's not like I don't know the movie's plot. I really have no interest in seeing someone on film be whipped repeatedly and apparently torn to shreds even if the actor is portraying Jesus, and I don't think that diminishes my Christianity by saying so. Besides, I don't really want to picture Jim Caviezel everytime I think about Jesus, and I fear that's what I may do after seeing the movie.

    Who knows, maybe some day I will see the DVD at Blockbuster and pick it up. I'll let you know when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an update: The top100 list has been updated for 2006. The list is at artsandfaith.com/t100.

    ReplyDelete