Tuesday, May 6, 2008

the Indiana Primary


Just like my fellow Hoosiers Doug and Vic, I did my civic duty and voted. I arrived at our voting center, the local elementary school, just before 10:00. There were about 20 cars parked outside the gymnasium door. Several signs for local candidates lined the grass along the pavement, but none were for Clinton or Obama. Two women and a man, perched like vultures just outside the gymnasium, asked me to vote for them for the local school board. I didn't tell them that I didn't really care whether they won or not, because my daughter goes to a private school. No need to be rude on such a fine morning.


'Twas no queue to delay me. I walked quickly to the table where two schoolmarm-ish ladies demanded proof of my identity. Naturally, I showed them my driver's license. They seemed adequately pleased, and I was given a ballot. I walked over to one of five small lecterns and made my choices. I had forgotten the people who wanted my vote for school council, so I did what I always do when I vote for categories I don't really care about: I pick whatever name sounds "the coolest."

No comments:

Post a Comment